jueves, 6 de noviembre de 2008

2001 Honda Civic Transmission failure


Transmission failure with the Honda Civic is a widespread problem in models made from the early 2000s. The 2001 Honda Civic appears to be the worst year for transmission failure.

Chris P.

Denton, TX, USA

Civic LX: Automatic transmission
102,000 miles

My transmission has been slipping for a while - perhaps a few months, maybe longer, but I'm not enough of a gear head (like, not at all) to know. Last Thursday, transmission totally went out of the thing. I was barely able to drive it the few blocks to my mechanic (thank the Lord it didn't go out during my commute). My local mechanic mentioned similar problems with Accords and Civics in this time frame.

I had my car towed to Bankston Honda in Lewisville, TX this morning after my local mechanic confirmed it was internal transmission trouble. They gave me a quote of around $2700 to replace the transmission. I asked about the 'goodwill' discount, and the service guy said I'd need to contact Honda Customer Service and take that up with them.

Just got off the phone with Honda Customer Service. The rep said there was no such thing as a 'goodwill' discount and when I asked to talk to a supervisor, she said she could open a case file for me and have it researched. She asked me how many Hondas I've owned (2, counting this one), what I was looking for from Honda (I said 50% of the repair cost) and why I felt they should do something (I said I Honda's quality reputation never lead me to expect to have to get my whole transmission replaced at 100k miles, and if I'd wanted that I would've bought from another company).



knobb

Springfield, MO, USA

Civic LX 1.7L: Automatic transmission
68,980 miles

Another 2001 civic automatic COMPLETE FAILURE transmission. I have owned four Hondas in the last ten years, but I see that trend coming to an abrupt end. My civic has 69k on it, and its going to cost $4000.00 for a new trans, or $1500.00 for one with the same damn problems out of a junk yard. Honda, if your listening, this is a big shovel full of B.S. and the likelyhood of me buying anything from you again (dammit, even my lawnmower is a Honda) is getting slim. Pissed in MO, Knobb.



ghanks

Belleville, IL, USA

Civic EX: Automatic transmission
120,000 miles

On September 12, 2008 the transmission on my 2001 Honda Civic EX failed. I had about 120,000 miles on it. I was at a stop light and put my foot on the gas and my car would not move. A kind person behind me in the long line of cars helped to push my car off to the shoulder. I had my car towed to our Honda dealership in Ofallon IL. Their estimate for the repair was $4000. They would replace the transmission. I called several mechanics in our area and they would rebuild the transmission for about $2000. While talking to a mechanic he told me that he has seen many transmission problems with Honda. After reading complaints on this site, I found out about a goodwill repair from Honda. So I called Honda of America and a case manager worked with our Honda dealership in Ofallon. The final cost for the repair was $1768. At the dealership they replaced my transmission not rebuilt it. It was still far more money than I wanted to spend on a car that I thought was reliable, but better than $4000. Honda of America told me that if you take it to a mechanic rather than the dealership, they might reimburse you. You would have to send in the paperwork and a casemanager would review

2 comentarios:

mikaljains dijo...

Congratulations! This is the great things. Thanks to giving the time to share such a nice information.
Transmission Company Denver

Unknown dijo...

I just had the same problem occur on a 2001 Honda Civic I sold to a good friend. After driving it a second time, the transmission went out on it. First, check the shift solenoid. Second, flush the transmission and replace the fluid and filter. Third if that does not fix the problem, it could be a bad or clogged pump, failed torque converter or the transmission needs rebuilt. Finally, the end result for that year is a known problem for Honda transmission's and is an expensive repair.